0

Your Cart is Empty

Spend $90.00 more and get free shipping!

The dangers of mould

November 02, 2021 2 min read

From the musty smell to the unsightly spots. No-one likes mould.

Did you know that regular exposure to mould is often overlooked as the cause of some illnesses? The best way to deal with mould isquickly in order to keep yourself and your family safe. 

Even if you think you only have a minimal amount of mould growth in your home or workplace it is best dealt with as soon as possible as mould spores can quickly multiply and cause a serious hazard.

Mould in your home or workplace can cause discomfort and many illnesses such as respiratory diseases, asthma, headaches, cough, sinus problems and rashes. Aspergillus, penicillum, fusarium, alternaria and stacybotrys chartarum (black mould) are the species we need to be especially wary of as they produce high levels of mycotoxins, which can cause significant health issues in humans. 

The growth of mould is promoted by wet and humid conditions and requires optimal conditions to grow, including, but not limited to

  • Mould Spores
  • Darkness
  • Moisture or Humidity
  • Oxygen
  • Warm Temperatures
  • Surfaces to grow on eg: timber, fabric, gyprock, grout or walls.

To minimise the ideal conditions that mould or fungi require to thrive we should make sure that areas in our homes that promote these conditions are as free from the perfect storm as possible. 

Areas like bathrooms, kitchen, laundry, ceilings, walls or any fabric that has remained wet for a prolonged period of time can harbour the spores and then break out when conditions are just right. 

Keeping damp areas free from humidity build up, free flowing air and good circulation as well as cool rather than hot/humid temperatures is an option to eliminate the conditions for mould to grow and multiply. Keeping wet towels hung up in the bathroom and kitchen, open doors and windows where and when possible, consider installing ventilation over appliances producing moisture, such as dryers, stoves and heaters & clean areas frequently that harbour mould spores.

Sunlight is a cheap, healthy and easy way to hamper the growth of mould. Use it if you can!

Keep in mind when cleaning mould you should wear gloves, glasses or goggles and a respirator or face mask to protect you from exposure to dangerous mould spores.